Do you want to know the habits of successful college students, so you too can be successful in college? Well, keep on reading!
Being a successful college student
Being a successful college student takes a lot of hard work, patience, and determination, but it’s worth it because college prepares you for life.
In fact, college life is the last stage before you finally step into the real world of adulthood.
Therefore, it’s important to excel in this last stage before adulthood.
Now, some college students are extremely successful in this last stage, but how do they do it?
What differentiates the successful college student from the unsuccessful college student?
Well, in this post, let’s examine a list of habits of extremely successful college students that separate them from the crowd!
Use this list to help you up to your game in college!
Habits Of Successful College Students
- Successful college students are effective listeners
- Note-taking is important for these college students
- High-performing college students ensure they get enough sleep
- Reading a lot is a common habit of college students who excel in college
- College students who excel in college review for tests
- These students make time for physical activities
- College students who do great in college know how to take a break once in a while
- Re-reading notes after class is a habit of high-performing college students
- College students who succeed in college also socialize
- Eating healthy as much as possible is important to successful college students
- College students who succeed in college spend their vacations wisely
- College students who surround themselves with great-minded people are more likely to succeed in college
- These college students listen to their college mentor or mentors
- Successful college students respect deadlines
- These successful students value time management
- Successful students have the courage to try out new things and experiences
- These students set goals and keep themselves accountable
1. Successful college students are effective listeners
Successful college students practice and know-how to effectively listen to the professors during class and to fellow students during discussions.
Through effective listening, they are able to have a better understanding of lessons and principles.
2. Note-taking is important for these college students
These students develop and practice the habit of note-taking, whether on paper, on a smartphone, or on a laptop.
Note-taking helps them remember relevant lessons and ideas and organize thoughts and reminders. Plus, note-taking also increases their writing and synthesizing skills.
3. High-performing college students ensure they get enough sleep
Most college students who excel in college do not stay up late by frequently going out and socializing with friends.
In fact, these students usually try their best to get enough sleep so that their bodies and brain can recharge for the next school day.
They know that a tired mind and body cannot have the power to absorb new and important lessons.
4. Reading a lot is a common habit of college students who excel in college
Students who are successful in college are generally avid readers. They tend to be enthusiastic about learning by reading through syllabuses, books, novels, and other reading assignments.
By reading, they also improve their imagination and analytical skills.
5. College students who excel in college review for tests
Successful college students tend to look forward to exam days by reviewing and preparing properly for the tests days or weeks before. This effectively helps them ace the tests and rake in great remarks.
Even though tests are not the only measure of greatness in school, they know that these tests are part of the challenge that they have to conquer in order to succeed.
6. These students make time for physical activities
Physical activities can do a lot of physical and mental benefits, that’s why many students allot time for this. Physical activities can help students de-stress, unwind, and recharge after stressful academic activities.
They usually run, work out, play sports, swim, or go hiking if time permits.
7. College students who do great in college know how to take a break once in a while
The brain can only absorb a certain amount of knowledge at a time. College students who excel in college try their best to take breaks from time to time to avoid information overload.
This helps them understand the lessons which are vital to their course better.
8. Re-reading notes after class is a habit of high-performing college students
Note-taking helps college students remember and organize their lessons and ideas. But actually re-reading these notes helps them understand and master their learnings even more.
During their free time, these college students usually take the time to read through their previous notes in order to enhance their knowledge.
9. College students who succeed in college also socialize
Every once in a while, most successful college students take the time to attend social parties of various groups in order to become well-rounded college students.
These activities allow them to enrich their social relationships and knowledge of other people’s passions and crafts.
10. Eating healthy as much as possible is important to successful college students
Let’s accept it, college life can be very busy. This is one of the main reasons fast food is like a best friend to many college students.
However, eating too much fast food has a lot of negative effects on physical and mental health.
Hence, high-performing college students try their best to eat healthy foods as much as they can in order to take care of their physical and mental state.
11. College students who succeed in college spend their vacations wisely
Most successful college students use their vacations to either learn new things or earn money from a temporary job.
Therefore, they spend their vacation wisely by finding ways to widen their horizon and to gain more experiences in life.
12. College students who surround themselves with great-minded people are more likely to succeed in college
It is true of what they say: “Birds of the same feather flock together”. It is very much like the Law of Attraction that if you attract greatness, you also become great.
Students who are successful in college tend to choose the best people to spend their time with.
These people inspire them to learn more, to do more, and to achieve more.
Greatness can be very infectious, and when they surround themselves with great people, they also become great persons themselves.
13. These college students listen to their college mentor or mentors
Every student needs a great mentor – someone who will guide them in their path towards reaching their full potentials.
A mentor could be in the form of a professor, a fellow student from a higher year, a group leader, an org mate, or even a family member.
Now, these mentors share and pass on a lot of knowledge to these students so that someday, they would succeed.
Most college students who excel in college listen well and take the advice of their mentors because they know it is for their own good.
14. Successful college students respect deadlines
These students respect and abide by deadlines. Deadlines are important dates to take note of because these are part of the grading system.
Therefore, by respecting deadlines, these students learn the value of time and effort.
15. These successful students value time management
As mentioned earlier, college life can be such a busy chapter in your life.
You have academic responsibilities, organizational activities, social meetings, extracurricular activities, sports, and many other things that you have to do.
Now, the key to being successful in college is giving value and practicing effective time management.
How do they do this?
These students usually maintain calendars or schedule boards that they could easily edit to prioritize their schedules.
Some also have journals or college planners where they put in timely or daily schedules of their tasks, duties, and other assignments.
16. Successful students have the courage to try out new things and experiences
Last but not the least, these amazing students are not afraid to try out new things. They do this in order to really experience life in a more vivid way.
They know that trying out new things will expand their knowledge and deepen their wisdom about the world.
17. These students set goals and keep themselves accountable
High-performing college students are likely goal setters. Yes! Believe it! These students don’t just go with the flow and hope they are successful or hope that college life works out in their favor.
Instead, they plan for their success and keep themselves accountable – they don’t make excuses for their shortcomings.
Your next-door neighbor college blogger gal pal with the college tips.